Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Gorracula Stage 2 (Growing the Seed)



After the long night of shooting for my friends' short film, wherein Gorracula had first sprouted as a good/bad idea worth a few laughs, I made the two mile trek back to my apartment still pounding out the details of Gorracula in my head. It was dominating every thought and it never once bothered me that it might be a stupid idea. Of course it was stupid. That's what made it fun to think about.

That walk was a straight shot along street-lit sidewalks up Semoran Boulevard in the Winter Park area of Orlando. It was too late for the buses to run and I probably would not have taken them anyway. Putting your legs in motion is way better for thinking than dozing in a bus seat or even sitting at home.

By the time I got back to my apartment I had decided it was meant to be a screenplay. In my head Simon Pegg was to play the lead as the scientist, Nick Frost would be either made up or CGI-ed Gollum style to play the Gorilla, and Patricia Clarkson would be my ideal as the cool and alluring English professor/romantic interest. As I fell asleep, and then again over the next few days, I felt like I was watching the movie version over and over in my head. It was pretty hilarious.

In the last month of film school we had to do a group project wherein we built a movie proposal out of a complete concept. I arrived at the first group meeting happy to offer my, by now, three-months-gestating pet project.

During this process it received feedback, group sourced logistical thought, and the logo it currently sports. We went into to our "final exam" pitch meeting and despite a few critiques of short comings in our planning, casting, budgeting etc. we got the "green light" (i.e. we passed the exam). It was a first validation for the idea and entrenched it even further in my mind.

I cannot overstate just how much Gorracula has changed since then. I'll try and elucidate each major stage and decision as this blog unfolds but at that moment (late May 2011) if you'd asked me, Gorracula: A Tale of Science was to be a horror comedy in the style of Shaun of the Dead.

I still sometimes sit back and run the movie version in my head. It's pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment